AMS PAVEMENT PRESERVATION
AMS PAVING: HOT CHIP SEAL
Hot Chip Seal is a two step process which is the combination of a High Performance Chip Seal followed by a ¾ inch open-graded Hot Mix overlay. Hot Chip Seal is used to both seal and level roadways which exhibit moderate to heavy cracking and which are also in need of re-profiling. Candidates for this process must be structurally sound; any areas exhibiting base failure should first be repaired.
Hot Chip Seal is a less expensive alternative to placing
a 1 ½ inch Superpave overlay.
BENEFITS OF HOT CHIP SEAL
- Best features of a High Performance Chip Seal with advantages of a thin Hot Mix overlay
- Two processes for less than the cost of a 1 ½ inch Superpave overlay
- Saves on curb reveal, laid at an average depth of ¾ inch
- Process has a high asphalt content with nearly a gallon of liquid asphalt per square yard
- Superior sealing, waterproofing and leveling of the pavement
- With open texture the future maintenance can be an inexpensive Grip Tight Fog Seal